- Being able to use my favourite shampoo again, because the smell used to trigger memories of tearful showers.
- Being able to open my university email account.
- Attending my classes.
- Actually learning in my classes, because I am no longer in an anxiety fuelled state that would cause me to leave mid-way to vomit.
- Asking my teachers for help with things that I struggle with and being met with understanding and kindness.
- Drinking wine in moderation, rather than drinking until I blackout.
- Being honest when someone asks about my past/present.
- Spending time with old friends and accepting that they have always liked me, it was just my head that was telling me otherwise.
- Accepting that someone could love me for who I am.
- Getting a tattoo to signify my commitment to my journey towards wellness. (Sorry, not sorry Mum.)
- Hearing ‘Eyes Shut’ by Years & Years in Sainsbury’s and not having a panic attack.
- Meeting other people experiencing mental health problems that have been encouraged by my honesty to seek help for themselves. That was a pretty big win in my opinion.
Izzy is a third year War Studies student at King’s College London.
I’m passionate about mental health and dogs, and always looking for ways to make them overlap.
You can find more of my work at www.forgetfine.com
If you want to contribute something to the ThinkMental website, get in touch with us and we will try to make it happen!